We Care About Our Customers & Our Oceans
South Florida is known for our sunny skies and blue seas. It’s a place we call home. It’s a place we are LUCKY enough to call home. We opened Oceana Coffee because we wanted to create high-quality coffee for our consumers, but we chose to open our first location in South Florida because of the beauty in this area.
At Oceana Coffee, we not only care about our customers but our environment too. We love our sunny skies and blue seas, and we try our best to do our part in protecting the place we call home.
Many of you may not know this, but ALL of Oceana’s plastic products, except for our plastic lids which are made from recycled content, are produced from corn and 100% compostable! We sponsor and regularly volunteer at local beach cleanups, and we encourage our customers to make environmentally friendly choices.
ALL of our coffee is hand-picked and comes from small family-owned farms, who are either certified organic or use organic practices. This method of farming helps to keep soil rich and healthy with nutrients, by using methods such as composting, rotating crops, and using environmentally safe methods of pest control. Relying on these small farms supports their local economy and helps protect our planet from deforestation due to the need for mass produced coffee.
Where do our plastic products come from?
Oceana Coffee is a proud Eco-Products Inc. distributor. Eco-Products Inc. is the largest foodservice packaging company in the world that is exclusively dedicated to environmentally friendly disposables. Eco-Products Inc. not only provides companies with eco-friendly products but also serves as a consultant to ensure that customers reach their sustainability goals.
Kudos to Coral Gables!
Coral Gables is already taking action as the first city in Florida to put a ban on plastic bags. All retailers are banned from using plastic bags and will face fines ranging from $50-$500 if the law is violated. (www.miamiherold.com)
World Oceans Day | June 8th, 2017
World Oceans Day is a day of worldwide celebration and collaboration for a better future. According to worldoceansday.org, World Oceans Day is meant to encourage solutions to plastic pollution and preventing marine litter for a healthier ocean and a better future.
What can you do to help reduce plastic usage?
- Use LESS Plastic (use decomposable options, cardboard products, paper products etc.)
- Be sure to dispose & recycle plastic and trash properly
- Less is more! Buy products that contain less packaging
- Use reusable/refillable products in your store (refillable condiments, glass cups, cloth napkins etc.)
- Sea some trash? Clean it up! If everyone picked up 1 piece of trash each day, that’s over 7 billion pieces of trash that will no longer litter our beaches
According to PlasticOceans.org did you know…
- Over 90% of all seabirds have plastic pieces in their stomachs
- More than 8 million tons of plastic are dumped into the ocean every year
- 1 in 3 species of marine mammals have been found entangled in marine debris
- Each year, 500 BILLION plastic bags are used across the world
- Packaging accounts for over 40% of total plastic usage
Check out this infographic from Divein.com for more facts:
Oceana Coffee is doing our part in protecting our oceans.